Implants filled with silicone gel were first introduced in 1962 by Dow Corning. The size and structure of these implants have come a long way since then. Improvements made on the shape of the shell has reduced silicone bleed (draining of the filled silicone) and coerciveness during the fill is increased.
Silicone gel implants are approved for use in breast augmentation procedures when the patient is a woman 22 years old or older. Apart from enhancing the natural shape of the breasts, these implants are also used in corrective procedures.
Why Choose Silicone Implants?
Silicone breast implants offers four main advantages:
• Silicone breast implants appear more natural than their saline counterpart and are soft to touch. The filling in these implants mimic the semi-solid nature of natural breast tissue.
• Unlike saline implants, silicone implants are not prone to rippling with movement. The ripple effect is similar to the phenomenon observed on lake surfaces. These ripples are prominent in women with small breasts. In the case of silicone implants, the probability of rippling is low.
• The deflation rate is comparatively slower.
• Given the flexible nature of these implants, they can easily be placed over the muscle without complications.
Silicone Breast Implant Candidates
Before signing up for any cosmetic surgery, it is important to understand what qualities will make you a good candidate for the procedure. Understanding who makes a good candidate for the procedure will help you determine if it is a good fit for you.
You will make a good candidate for silicone breast implants if:
• You experience good general health.
• You are realistic about the results provided by the procedure.
• You aren’t pregnant and aren’t planning on becoming pregnant.
• You aren’t happy with the current shape and size of your breasts.
• You’re 22 years of age or older.
In addition to all of these factors, you will also need to be ready and willing to follow all of your surgeon’s pre-operative and post-operative instructions. These instructions may include stopping the use of certain medications and tobacco products for several weeks. If you are in need of any medications, your doctor will prescribe the perfect medication for your needs.
The Silicone Breast Augmentation Procedure
The breast augmentation process begins with a consultation with your surgeon. During this consultation, your surgeon will address any concerns you have and assess your individual needs to develop a customized plan for your needs.
Your surgeon will begin the procedure by making an incision. He will then place the implant in a cavity below or over the chest muscle. Incision is later closed with surgical tape or sutures. The procedure may take two to three hours to complete..
Before going under the knife, remember that breast implants are not a permanent solution. If any complications occur or you change your mind, there are replacement procedures available to you. It is good practice to go in for an MRI scan three years after the surgery to check for any ruptures. If the implant does rupture, it will need to be replaced.
Set up a Consultation
Contact our office to set up an informative consultation with Dr. Filiberto Rodriguez, a skilled cosmetic surgeon. During your consultation, you may ask any questions you have and receive the guidance you need to obtain the breasts you desire.